Microsoft Innovative Educator

Microsoft Innovative Educator

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Introduction: Welcome (Back)

Welcome to my new blog site. You may remember me from my previous blog: "Reflections of a YPAdean" (or maybe you don't and that's okay too!). Summer is the perfect time for learning, growth, and change. My educational mission is to incorporate them all here and This Blog Is Why I will continue to be a change agent for teachers, students, administrators, and anyone else inspired by my words/work. Come along on my summer reading journey as I explore my awesome Professional Learning Network (PLN) and learn from some amazing educators. Let's begin!

Summer Reading Blog #1:
http://www.funintegratingtechnology.blogspot.com/2015/06/fun-integrating-flipped-classroom.html
Twitter: @FITinEDU

What is a flipped classroom/model? My loose definition: This is where you require your students/audience to do required reading, research, or work independently---usually at home, so that your lesson can focus more on developing their understanding in the areas of difficulty or interest. Again, this is my very loose interpretation.

The focus of the blog in the link above is the flipped classroom--an intriguing concept for me. In this blog post, the teacher/author Felecia Young, outlines how she has implemented this in the classroom while answering some questions that many teachers and even administrators may have about logistics. I loved the AEIOU strategy. I can definitely see myself using this in flipped faculty meetings or with my college students. At times it can be difficult to think of creative ways to get adult learners involved in the process, but I think this strategy is a WINNER (that is not an acronym)! Thinking about a flipped classroom model made me think of a few questions: How often is this strategy used? What are conversations like with parents? How is student learning/progress assessed? There is some mention of assessments, but it seemed general. I'm sure it would be a great benefit to see this in action. I think I'll plan to use this in my college course(s) scheduled for the fall. As a reading instructor, I strive to find ways to motivate my students to commit time outside of class to assigned readings. While I spend a few class sessions laying the foundation for our course, I inform students that once that is done, the major work of the course falls on them. Incorporating the flipped model into what I already do seems like a natural next step. Stay tuned to future blogs for updates!
From an administrator's perspective, I first learned about the flipped faculty meeting model from author/blogger @PeterMDeWitt, who spoke at a workshop that I attended this past year. If you are looking to make your meetings more interactive, flipped may be the way to go. Instead of having teachers "sit and get" identify topics of study and incorporate open dialogue into your next faculty meeting. What a way to grow together and share ideas that may not be shared otherwise.

My big take-aways from the reading:
1. You must have district/school support for this model to be effective. Resources will be an essential component to the success of the flipped classroom.
2. Students must be held accountable. The teacher will need to find and implement a system that works for his/her classroom and students. This post offers some suggestions/starting points.
3. Flipping the classroom is an interactive and reflective process for teacher and students. The flipped model demands flexibility and encourages a student-centered classroom that thrives on teachable moments.

Be sure to check out @FITinEDU and subscribe to her blog.
You can also connect with me on Twitter @MsClassNSession or LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/principalsdj.
Post comments or subscribe to www.thisblogiswhy.blogspot.com as I continue to share my summer reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment