Microsoft Innovative Educator

Microsoft Innovative Educator

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

No Excuses

A few short days ago I started on a journey that my brain has needed all summer. I love learning. But more than that, I love sharing with others and feeling as though I can impact the world --or at least a few people in it. Some may view blogging as a platform for educational issues, trends, and politics. And it can be that. At the same time, it can be a source for reflection, quiet pondering, and continuous growth. Thank you for taking this journey with me and I look forward to all the destinations where this wonderful path will lead. And so, This Blog Is Why I am setting a new goal for myself: focus on these 3 take-aways in my career (see below).

Summer Reading Blog #6
https://evolvingeducators.wordpress.com/2015/07/20/theres-no-substitute-for-these-3-things-in-education/
Twitter: @ScottRRocco

One of the hard lessons that I had to learn as an administrator came from this golden nugget of advice: Don't make lists. Valuable lesson. Why? You may ask. It only causes you stress and headaches because your job is never done. You will never accomplish everything there is to accomplish. Why place that extra stress on yourself of trying to cross things off of a never-ending list. Now, I'm not saying that I always followed that advice. But those words rang in my ears every time I started one. At any one time, I might have two or three lists going at the same time until I realized I was wasting more time making the lists when I could just be getting the work done! Well, that's what the blog in the link above made me think about. The hard work. Education is hard work. Anybody that says otherwise must not be an educator. I know we make it look easy. But the struggle is real. Real and worth it. Those who put in the hard work, the long days, the extra hours are truly committed and dedicated. That's what education thrives on. That's what it takes to move schools forward and prepare students for the world. 
It's not just about those two characteristics, though. Risk-taking is also an essential component. Giving educators permission to fail or at least get it wrong sometimes. Where would we be without those 'mess-ups'? That is how we get some of the best, most innovative inventions. Someone willing to ask, "I wonder what would happen if I tried this?" and then doing it. It takes us to the next level. If we want classrooms full of students that think critically, then we must have educators that feel comfortable pushing the envelope. That comes by creating an environment where it's okay to make mistakes. That's where true learning occurs. In a place where you are allowed to grow and get better. Like a baby taking his first steps. He may stumble a few times, but soon his stride shows no signs of his struggles. 

My big take-aways from the reading:
1. Commitment-Get the job done.
2. Dedication-Enjoy yourself.
3. Responsibility (Risk-taking)-Learn from your mistakes.


You can also connect with me on Twitter @MsClassNSession or LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/principalsdj.
Post comments or subscribe by email to www.thisblogiswhy.blogspot.com as I continue to share my summer reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment