Microsoft Innovative Educator

Microsoft Innovative Educator

Monday, July 13, 2015

The Reader In Me

The reader in me wants every child to experience the joys of getting lost in a story. I want every reader to nurture an imagination that allows them to experience worlds unknown. What happens when that luxury does not come easily for a struggling reader? This Blog is Why I was happy to come across a teacher's response to how parents can help unlock this treasure for children that have struggles. A special thanks to my friend that shared this link on Facebook (gotta love Facebook)!

Summer Reading Blog #2:
http://www.ithinkwecouldbefriends.com/2014/03/03/help-for-struggling-reader/
Author/Contributor: 6th grade teacher, Beth

When I began to read this article/blog, I immediately took notice of the teacher's writing style. It is just my cup of tea (insert Kermit meme here)! Perfect for the intended audience, parents of a struggling reader. She provides some easy to implement tips with just the right touch of humor and sensibility. She also includes a listing of books that children might enjoy. A great resource if you're not up to speed on the latest playground banter. As an educator with a focused passion for reading, I am always on the lookout for new reading strategies, tips, techniques, and/or resources to share. This is one that I will definitely continue to share with parents and even teachers that are searching for ways to help motivate those students that just don't like to pick up a book. Can you imagine that? No? Me either!

In this article, there 7 tips that are designed to help you stay one step ahead of the game. Trust me, I know what that's like. Each semester I am faced with a classroom full of students that are not shy about telling me how much they hate reading. I try not to take offense. And the one person that is not ashamed to admit they LOVE reading, I always promise them an "A"! Even if that student doesn't earn the "A" that I promised, at least I know they will work hard. That is my number one requirement of students, that they work hard. And when I tell them by the end of the course they are going to love reading, of course they don't believe me. But, it always warms my heart when someone tells me at the end that I was right. There will be those that don't fall in love, okay most of them won't, and that's okay. My goal is to let them know that even in their struggles I am there to support them and we will all get through it together.

That brings me back to the article and those seven tips. Here are...
My big take-aways from the reading:
1. If you think it's going to be easy, it's not. Anything worth it's salt, requires work. Reading is no different. (Hmmm, sounds like my lecture in class.)
2. Be the example. You can't expect someone to do what you aren't willing to do yourself. Well, you could, but don't be surprised by the results. 
3. Make reading a social event. Because it is. That's why book clubs are popular. Celebrate reading, talk about characters that amaze you, and share a book with someone you love. 

You can also connect with me on Twitter @MsClassNSession or LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/principalsdj.
Post comments or subscribe by email to www.thisblogiswhy.blogspot.com as I continue to share my summer reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment