Microsoft Innovative Educator

Microsoft Innovative Educator

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Twitter Confessions

Catchy title, I know. But, there won't be any earthshattering confessions here. This summer I decided to challenge myself to read more blogs. Anyone who knows me can say with confidence that I am a true advocate of Twitter for professional learning and connections. With that being said, I am also guilty of seeing the blog links in my PLN but rarely taking the time to read them. This Blog Is Why it is my new mission to take the opportunity to learn and grow by subscribing to (and reading) more educational blogs. I invite you all to join me on this journey.

Summer Reading Blog #3:
http://georgecouros.ca/blog/archives/5382
Twitter: @gcouros

It was the title of this particular blog post that caught my attention ("Not Everyone Is You"). How many times do we as educators forget that? My other confession...sometimes I forget. Especially when it comes to Twitter. When I first started on Twitter, it was really to follow my favorite reality TV shows and stars. Not very educational, but very entertaining (another confession). Generally, when I try to introduce others to Twitter, I hear about how confusing it is and I agree because it took me some time to catch on as well. But once I figured it out, I was hooked! What made it even better was when I attended the Upstate Technology Conference in Greenville, SC during the summer of 2013. One of the sessions that I attended was focused on building your PLN (Professional Learning Network---Warning: I use this a lot and don't always spell it out). The moderator explained the lingo to us, suggested professionals to follow, and provided general tips for getting started. At that moment, I had my new wings and began to soar using Twitter in a completely different way than before. What I enjoy most about learning through Twitter, is that you can make the learning your own. I am able to locate resources related to any topic and I am not forced to travel or wait until the next big conference. I have access to authors, speakers, and experts without a fee! As an administrator, I have often shared resources with teachers that I gathered from Twitter. But, as a true leader, I want my teachers/staff to be as empowered as I am. So I always encourage others to join. Confession Ahead...I also get discouraged and frustrated when they don't take full advantage of this tool. For example, I see one of my friends/colleagues back on Twitter, but she is still an "egghead"! That's the first rule of Twitter professionals, no eggheads! Here is where I remind myself "Not Everyone Is You" and she will find her own way in her own time. I can appreciate that.

My big take-aways from the reading:
1. Technology has its place in education. Not everyone will agree what that is and there will be varying levels of comfort and use. Respect that.
2. Great leaders listen and seek to understand, instead of trying to get everyone to where you are. Powerful!
3. I found a new blog to follow: https://dougpete.wordpress.com. Check it out!


You can also connect with me on Twitter @MsClassNSession or LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/principalsdj.
Post comments or subscribe by email to www.thisblogiswhy.blogspot.com as I continue to share my summer reading list.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing a terrific post. I look forward to sharing your words with colleagues who are curious about Twitter.

    ReplyDelete