Microsoft Innovative Educator

Microsoft Innovative Educator

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Balance

The word of the day is TeleMed. Have you heard of this new phenomenon? It may not even be new, but it is new to me! Medical technology now brings the doctor to you. Wow. Love it. Not long ago my colleagues and I were all suffering with the same ailments. You know the usual suspects: cough, stuffy nose, body aches, and general yuckiness. And in true teacher form, we still showed up to work. One afternoon, my colleague said to me, "Stephanie, you need to do the TeleMed." Me: "TeleWho?" She explains and the next morning, when I am not feeling any better I head to the school nurse and fill out the forms. This is about 8AM or so and I get an appointment with the doctor scheduled for 10AM the same day. During my Skype appointment, the doctor phones in and the school nurse uses tools that allow the doctor to see inside my ear on the screen. A chest "x-ray" also appears on the screen. The doctor calls in a prescription to my preferred pharmacy and I am able to pick up my medicine on the way home from work. Amazing! Well, this post is NOT about TeleMed (really) but what a lead in to my true topic. This Blog Is Why Balance in your life is important and should be a priority.

Well, as my diet shifted from Coca-Cola, chocolate, and red velvet cheesecake (it was Valentine's Day!) to antibiotics, water, and cough drops...I remembered this little gem I found on LinkedIn.


This speech, as short as it may be, is truly profound and will serve as a reminder in the days ahead. As passionate as I am about education and my career, the things that matter most in life and that deserve the most attention are family, health and friends. There have been times when I have dedicated far too much time to getting the job done. While the rewards are great, I need to keep my true life focus in perspective. A friend/colleague recently reminded me: "many people care about you, and their care isn't based on what you do. It is based on who are." Humbling words. 
I didn't mention Spirit because that one seems to come naturally for me. I was passing a group of our district's maintenance staff workers and one of them commented, "Every time I see you, you always have the biggest smile on your face!" That is the legacy and impression I want to make. But not only at work, I want my family and friends to enjoy that part of me. So when I begin to stress about a day's work or a task that I have at hand, I am going to reflect on this 30-second reminder of those fragile balls that I juggle in the air along with that resilient rubber ball. It is truly a balancing act. In the end, there is a place for them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment