Microsoft Innovative Educator

Microsoft Innovative Educator

Friday, June 3, 2016

Humility vs The Hard Sell

If you are an introvert (and you know it), then this blog's for you. I guess this counts as the beginning of my summer reading series. It pains me to say that I recently joined the world of Pinterest. I tried my hardest to resist. And trust me, don't get too excited, I am not that into it. I really don't need any more (computer) distractions in my life right now. BUT, I must say that in addition to my awesome PLN (who shares so many gems that I could not possibly write about them all), Pinterest has a few jewels of its own. Okay, getting back to my introverted friends...This Blog Is Why self-promotion is important (and possible) even if you happen to be an introvert, like me.

Well, maybe you'll remember that I blogged about being in "The Dip". Yep, still there. But while I'm vacationing here for now, I am reflecting and learning. That's the beauty of being in "The Dip" and these two articles came my way: one from my Twitter PLN and one from Pinterest. I hope you will join me in this summer's reading series. Here's to a new Top 10 or maybe more.

Summer Reading Blog #1
http://theeducatorsroom.com/2016/05/humility-hurting-teachers/

So is it possible that introverts all have the same problem(s): that inner voice that will not stop, being unapologetically humble, and that need for all interactions to be meaningful/authentic? If that IS the case, how does one make the transition from humility to the hard sell. That hard sell is what typically gets people ahead. That hard sell is what typically clinches the deal. That hard sell is what typically guarantees that dream job you have been after. Right? Not necessarily, according to one article. I agree that humility can be a burdening characteristic of some educators (and probably most introverts). There are still ways to get in the networking game and get ahead. So, my introvert friends, there is hope for us. The validation for me has been one article's suggestions.
1) Tell your story.
2) Create through writing.
3) Be true to you.

Summer Reading Blog #2
Career Advice for Introverts

My big take-aways from the reading:
1. This Blog Is Why I have found my voice as an introvert.
2. As I present at various conferences this summer, I hope that I am able to inspire others to find/use their voice.
3. Thank you for allowing me to share my story with you. What an awesome way to connect, collaborate, and network!


Don't forget you can connect with me via
Twitter: @MsClassNSession
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ThisBlogIsWhy/
 LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/principalsdj

No comments:

Post a Comment