Microsoft Innovative Educator

Microsoft Innovative Educator

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Conference Wrap-up: #NotatISTE16

I know this is waaaay late. But this is my recap of #NotatISTE16. If you are not familiar with ISTE or #NotatISTE, let me fill you in. This year, the ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) Conference was held in Denver, Colorado from June 26th-29th. If you were like me and many others, you may have been unable to attend for a variety of reasons: schedule conflict, finances, family ties, fear of flying...the list could go on. But, fear not. Thanks to the great developers, creators, contributors, and sponsors of #NotatISTE; you could still be a part of the learning (and fun!). This Blog Is Why you could say it's the best of both worlds.


How did I get involved with #NotatISTE16? Twitter of course! I came across the hashtag and began to follow the conversation. The next step for me was joining the Google+ Community for #NotatISTE16 and that, my friends, is where the fun began. I was able to create an "official" badge, join the #NotatISTE16 challenge, and grow my PLN. During the week, I was attending and presenting at a conference in my own home state. Can you imagine that I was able to participate in two conferences at the same time that were miles apart (in Colorado and South Carolina at the same, same time)? Truly, the best of both worlds. Joining the Google+ community allowed me to watch Periscope videos from some of the sessions or speaker presentations. Sometimes I was able to catch them live, but if not, I could watch on my own time. I also loved the tour of the Convention Center that @Kitty_Tripp gave us the day before the official start of the event. But, the best part is that I was a lucky winner of one of many donated prizes. A special thanks to Mr. Billy Krakower for my book 140 Twitter Tips for Educators. Now I have an autographed copy for my personal library (Shout out to Brad Currie-@bradmcurrie and Scott Rocco-@scottrrocco my #satchat friends and co-authors of this book with @wkrakower).

                                        

I know that many times after leaving a conference you may have so much information swimming around in your head that it's hard to remember it all. The beauty of participating in the #NotatISTE16 Community is that many of the resources are packaged in this wonderful LiveBinder that can be accessed after the conference is over. Those sessions that you missed, you can still get that great information even though you didn't get in! Welcome to the age of technology. Gotta love it. And Peggy George (@pgeorge), I hope you don't mind me sharing.

#NotatISTE16 LiveBinder resources

Now that you have participated in #NotatISTE16, I know you have your bags packed and you are already looking forward to next year. Well, here is some information that you may find helpful. ISTE 2017 will be held in San Antonio, Texas from June 25-28, 2017. If you are interested in submitting a proposal as a session presenter, call for proposals will open September 1, 2016 until September 29, 2016. Good Luck!

ISTE 2017 Information

No comments:

Post a Comment