Microsoft Innovative Educator

Microsoft Innovative Educator

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Forty and Fitness

Forty is difficult. Before I go there, let me say that I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my blog. Whatever the reason you read and follow, I hope you gain a new perspective when you reach the end. Whether it's educational, parenting, professional, or personal; my goal is to share something that sparks a connection with you. This Blog Is Why I am here to state (or restate) forty is NOT the new twenty, thirty, etc.!

                           

On a personal note: Raise your hand if you have felt the growing pains of getting older (more mature). That's where I am right now. It seems like my body is falling apart on me. Last year, I had the unfortunate experience of having my knee pop out of place on me (just cannot get that visual out of my head). I was fortunate that no real damage was done and the healing process was quick. It was a scary moment nonetheless. Being Forty is hard. This year, I had another scare that was more serious and much more painful. In the process of going back and forth to ER and/or doctors, it did force me to slow down and focus more on my loved ones. I must admit that sometimes in the hustle and bustle of work, work, and more work, I forget to make time for those who are most important in my life. And it's in the forced moments of rest, that I am truly thankful.

Writing this post is a huge step for me, I am mostly a private person. But, I think it's important to share your story especially if it can help others. It will also stand as a reminder for me to never lose focus again. In my times of weakness, I appreciate my mom's composure when I feel a little helpless. I am not sure if she has moments of worry, tears, or anxiousness; but she is definitely strong when I need it most. I am thankful for the mister. In the times when mom can't be there, he definitely steps in and steps up. Even when it means missing a much-anticipated homecoming to sit with me for hours in ER. I am thankful for my cousin and aunt. They reached out to me at just the right time. I'm not sure how they knew, but sometimes it's good to know someone is thinking about you in their day. I am thankful for dad. He gave me a good laugh and we all know that laughter is good for the soul. I am thankful for my grandmother. Even over the miles, she gives that good old-fashioned talking to that you didn't even know you missed so much. I know this turned into a Thanksgiving post!!
Disclaimer here: I am blaming this on forty, but I am quite aware that age is not the real issue. My support system is intact and that is good to know. After sitting down with the doctor, my tests came back with good results. Praise God!

Last week, I had the chance to sit down with one of my former professors and talk a little about my journey. It was great to have a listening ear and someone to offer advice to me. The best part of our conversation was at the end when she said, "Stephanie, you have been through a lot, but I am happy to see that you still have that beautiful smile." Always.

So where is the fitness?? This year, as  a part of STEAM Clubs (back to Education), I am sponsoring a Hip-Hop Fitness club. We are using the "Cize" workout videos with Shaun T's dance choreography. I was so excited about our first meeting. I have been looking for time in my day to workout and a good support group. Who knew they would end up being elementary students?! The workout is not easy, but it is fun. Even if you can't get all the moves, you can jump in when there is a sequence you know. So, in my efforts to embrace Forty, I need to embrace Fitness as well. They are going to be my new best friends!

Blogs from A-Z
A- A is For Administrator
B- Breakfast Club
C- Chicken Soup Is For The Mind, Body, and Soul
D- DonorsChoose
E- Empathy
F- Forty and Fitness
G- Grant Writing
H- Hour of Code
I- I Wish I Had Thought of That (Repost)
J- Jeopardy in the Classroom
K- Keys to a Successful Hour of Code
L- Lessons Learned
M- Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert (MIE)
N- Need a Gift Idea?
O- Oh, The Places We WANT To Go!
P- Principal Presents
Q- Quitting the Profession
R- Recharge Over the Holidays
S- Skype-A-Thon
T- Twelve Days of Twitter
U- Update: Oh The Places...Here We Come!
V- Virtual Sharing
W- What's New in 2017
X- Xtra, Xtra...This Challenge is DONE
Y- Year End Review
Z- Zebra Print, Red Velvet, and FREEBIES

No comments:

Post a Comment